We need you to take immediate action and tell the Senate you oppose the DARK Act and support federally mandated GMO labeling!
In 2014, Vermont became the first state to require mandatory GMO labeling. Connecticut and Maine have also passed GMO labeling laws that will go into effect once neighboring states pass similar laws and other states are currently looking to pass GMO labeling legislation.
In response to these state efforts, Representatives Mike Pompeo (R-Kan.) and G. K. Butterfield (D-N.C.) introduced federal legislation developed by food companies that we in the consumer rights community have dubbed the “Deny Americans the Right-to-Know” Act (DARK Act). This anti-GMO labeling bill passed the House of Representatives in 2015 and similar legislation has just been introduced by Senator Roberts and could pass the Senate any day.
The Senate version of the “Deny Americans the Right to Know” (DARK) Act would:
- Preempt states from requiring labeling of GMO foods.
- Strip the Food and Drug Administration of its jurisdiction over GMO food disclosures.
- Make it harder for companies like Campbell’s Soup to voluntarily disclose the presence of GMOs.
- Make it the responsibility of USDA to promote biotechnology to consumers.
- Continue the current, broken voluntary labeling system.
Now is the time to tell your Senators that you oppose the DARK Act and support mandatory labeling.
Fill out the form below to send an email to your members of Congress!
Tell the FDA!
Tell the FDA! We have a right to know about food we eat and feed our families, but under current regulations, we don’t have that ability when it comes to genetically engineered (GMO) foods.
Tell Congress you support Mandatory GMO Labeling! We need you to take immediate action and tell Congress you support mandatory GMO labeling!