About Just Label It
Studies show that more than 90% of Americans support mandatory labeling of genetically engineered (GE) foods. Yet for twenty years we have been denied that right.
While our reasons for wanting to know what’s in our food may vary, what unifies us is the belief that it’s our right to know. Without labeling of GE foods, we cannot make informed choices about our food. The Just Label It campaign was created to advocate for the labeling of GE foods.
A legal petition calling for the mandatory labeling of GE foods, written by attorneys at the Center for Food Safety, was submitted in September 2011 to the FDA. It was created on the premise that people have a right to know what is in their food, and to give consumers not only a voice, but a choice in how they can take action. The FDA will take public comments on the petition. The FDA carefully considers official comments from the public when drawing upon a final ruling.
Hundreds of partner organizations representing the healthcare community, consumer advocates, farmers, concerned parents, environmentalists, food and farming organizations, businesses, the faith-based community, and many more concerned with protecting the consumer’s right to know have joined together in support of the FDA petition and the mandatory labeling of genetically engineered foods.
We hope to raise awareness of this issue and let Washington know that Americans want labeling of genetically engineered foods.
See the full list of partners.
About Organic Voices
Organic Voices was formed in 2011 to educate and empower consumers by promoting the benefits of organic food and by advocating for mandatory GE labeling.
Organic Voices Board of Directors
- Gary Hirshberg, Stonyfield Farm, Chairman
- Laura Batcha, The Organic Trade Association
- Sarah Bird, Annie’s Inc.
- Ken Cook, The Environmental Working Group
- Mike Ferry, Horizon Organic/Silk
- Robyn O’Brien, The AllergyKids Foundation
- Robynn Shrader, National Cooperative Grocers Association
- Lewis Goldstein, Organic Valley
- Darren Mahaffy, Nature’s Path
- Tom Spier, Speir Capital Management
- Melody Meyer, UNFI
Companies Supporting Organic Voices include:
- Amy’s Kitchen
- Annie’s Homegrown
- Aurora Organic Dairy
- Clif Bar Family Foundation
- Honest Tea
- Lundberg Family Farm
- National Cooperative Grocers Association
- Organic Valley
- Stonyfield Farm
- White Wave/Horizon Organic Dairy
Organic Voices Staff
- Scott Faber, Executive Director
- Katrina Staves, Campaign Manager
- Violet Batcha, Communications and Social Media Manager
Tell the FDA!
Tell the FDA! We have a right to know about food we eat and feed our families, but under current regulations, we don’t have that ability when it comes to genetically engineered (GMO) foods.