GE Labeling Won’t Raise Food Prices
By: Libby Foley (EWG) and Violet Batcha (Just Label It)
Contrary to the claims of food industry giants and biotechnology companies, requiring labels on genetically engineered food won’t drive up food prices. Labeling would not ban the technology or force farmers and manufacturers to switch to non-GE ingredients; it would simply require that food containing GE ingredients be labeled, so that consumers can make informed decisions about what they want to eat.
Food companies change labels all the time as part of their innovation cycle or to meet consumer demand, and they would have ample time to comply with mandatory GE labeling without affecting products already on store shelves.
Check out the infographic below to see why GE labeling won’t cost you a thing.
- Facebook Live: An Update from DC on GMO Labeling From Colin O’Neil, Legislative Director at EWG
- Just Label It, News Roundup 12-1
- Just Label It, News Roundup 11-17
- EPA Chief Backs Another Pesticide Harmful to Kids
- Just Label It, News Roundup 11-10