What are you really getting when you buy “natural” foods?
By definition GE foods have had their genetic makeup altered to exhibit traits that are not naturally theirs, yet GE ingredients are allowed in food labeled as ‘natural’.
As consumers we want to know more and more about what we’re eating and have certain expectations about food that is labeled as ‘natural’. We expect that they are free of toxic pesticides, antibiotics, growth hormones and genetically engineered ingredients. “The FDA’s own definition of ‘natural’ is designed to ensure that no ‘artificial or synthetic’ ingredients have been added to the food product.” Says the Scott Faber, Executive Director of Just Label It.
By allowing GE ingredients to be labeled as ‘natural’ consumers are being mislead to believe that GE foods are better for their health and environment. If it’s impossible to create GE plants and animals in the natural world then why should they go un-labeled in our natural food?
- Just Label It News Roundup 10/13
- Just Label It News Roundup, October 5th
- Farming and Your Tap Water
- Top 10 Reasons to Reject Trump’s Chemical Safety Nominee
- Michael Dourson’s Toxic Wake: Locations Across the US Contaminated by Eight Chemicals “Blessed” by Trump EPA Toxics Nominee